Monday, February 27, 2012

Claude and the delicious square of banana bread!


When on vacation earlier this month, Pete and I had the most amazing breakfast at The Loft. This is one of the restaurants at the Montage hotel in Laguna Beach (picture of our view to the left). Shortly after being taken to our table, we were greeted by Claude (a fancy french waiter). His accent and disposition made me want to quickly put my napkin on my lap and sit a little straighter in my chair. But his warm smile and beautiful descriptions of each item on the menu made him very likeable. I liked him even more when he brought us these delicious little morsels of banana bread before our meal arrived. Upon asking for another plate of these morsels (Yes I'm guilty), Claude offered me the recipe. He said a couple years ago he began printing out copies for his customers as this banana bread was so popular. So because Claude was so thoughtful to share with me....I just had to share with you. :)

I am waiting for some of my bananas to over-ripen and I plan to make it this week. Thank-you Claude!

The Loft Banana Bread Recipe

16oz flour
16 oz brown sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
4 over ripe bananas pured
1/4 pound melted butter
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. baking powder
2 cups buttermilk

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a large bowl, add the four, brown sugar, baking soda, and baking powder and thoroughly mix until everything is incorporated. In a second bowl, add buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, butter, and banana puree and whisk until everything is a smooth consistency.

Grease a 13x9x2 baking pan.

When pan and oven are both ready, add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and combine quickly. Batter may be slightly lumpy. Do not over mix the batter. Empty batter into the greased pan and put directly in the oven.

Bake for 20 minutes and check with a toothpick or cake knife. Toothpick should come out clean. Continue baking for an additional 5 minutes and check that bread is cooked through. Remove from oven and cool. Cut and serve!!!


1 comment:

  1. can't wait to try these...i have bananas ripening too!

    ReplyDelete